VCSE representative, Nik Harwood, attended the meeting of the Somerset Children’s Trust on 14th May 2019.
You can read his summary below:
- Closing statement on Children’s Plan 2016-2019 was shared with achievements and areas for improvement (including those ported into the 2019-2022 plan, which is now published)
- Theme for forward planning with heavy emphasis on ensuring the voice of child/young person is embedded into all strategic thinking & decision-making: also an indicator about bringing on-the-ground practice closer to strategic thinking
- Update on Safeguarding Partnership (replacing Safeguarding Children’s Board) from October 2019 – statutory duty for 3 partners: LA, CCG, Police – planning and thinking around how this will work operationally (including dynamics above) in-hand, and proposal to central government by end of June 2019
- With now no statutory requirement for Children’s Trust Board and Safeguarding Children’s Board, this is an opportunity to streamline governance and Board level meetings – this discussion is ongoing & aligned with point above
- Update on child exploitation from working groups & workshops on future shaping & prioritisation (including a captured voice of 2 x YP engaged with Team 8 – YP unable to attend)