Following the two-part Panorama documentary films about the pressures facing social care, the VCSE Strategic Forum ran a workshop to engage with Adult Social Care Commissioners. There were 56 attendees who represented a variety of organisations.
The workshop included:
- Exploring the challenges faced, and hearing from Stephen Chandler, Director of Adult Services outlining why Somerset chose to engage with Panorama;
- Understanding what initiatives are already in place and how the VCSE can get involved;
- Seeking views from the VCSE on how to collaboratively rise to the challenge.
The presentations from the day can be viewed here.
Key themes which came up in group discussions are below, and a summary can be accessed here.
- How to focus more on prevention and early intervention;
- The need for better awareness as some people were unsure of what Community Connect is and also Somerset Direct;
- Communications and engagement and strengthening links at a local/community level, particularly with parish/town councils.
As requested, Adult Social Care have produced information regarding Community Connect which can be viewed here.
For further information about support available, click here or call 0300 123 2224.
Further to the workshop, if you have had any additional reflections or thoughts on how we can collaboratively work better together or other innovative solutions you are keen to make us aware of, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.